Detroit Institute of Art
The Detroit Institute of Art has been a beacon of culture for the Detroit area for well over a century. Founded in 1885, the museum was originally located on Jefferson Avenue, but, due to its rapidly expanding collection, moved to a larger site on Woodward Avenue in 1927. The new Beaux-Arts building, designed by Paul Cret, was immediately referred to as the “temple of art.” Two wings were added in the 1960s and 1970s, and a major renovation and expansion was completed a few years ago
The museum covers 600,000 square feet that includes more than 100 galleries, an 1,150-seat auditorium, a 380-seat lecture/recital hall, an art reference library, and a state-of-the-art conservation services laboratory. The current renovation and expansion will add 77,000 square feet.
The DIA’s collection is one of the largest, most significant in the United States, comprising a multicultural and multinational survey of human creativity from prehistory through the 21st century.